Friday, August 10, 2007

My Damaged Ego

Henri Nouwen once wrote about how when you write something, sometimes people assume that that one piece is your whole life. And I'm not at all comparing myself to Henri Nouwen, but I'm feeling that dynamic this week. I wrote a little commentary on Relevant's website on The Office versus Grey's Anatomy, and one poster left a comment saying something like, "Why don't you go read a book instead or do something that makes the world a better place? If this is the biggest problem you have to write about, you should rethink your priorities." (You can read everything here.)

I know I have to let it roll off my back, but comments like this always cut me deep. I have to tell myself that this guy doesn't know anything about me. I do read books and I do try to help people. I just wrote a single thousand-word tract about the minutiae of two TV shows because I think obsessive analysis is fun and funny. And what's wrong with a little levity every now and then, anyway?

I think I can forgive this guy, though, because as easy as it is to assume a person's whole character on the basis of one article, it's even easier to judge people too harshly for the comments they throw down. There's a chance I might like him if I met him in person---I too think more people should care about making the world better.

Still, it's his loss that we're not friends.

2 comments:

steph-a-ronie said...

Jessica! I loved your recent Web article with Radiant! [title: Communing] It was smart, clean, intimate... oooh, I just loved it!!

steph-a-ronie said...

Again... great piece in Radiant. The visual you offered was outstanding!